Subject: Apple Compiler with a Sense of Humour
From: (Chris Teegarden)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:33:29 -0700

These are some of the error messages produced by Apple's MPW C
 compiler. They are all real. (If you must know I was bored one
 afternoon and decompiled the String resources for the compiler.)

 "String literal too long (I let you have 512 characters; that's 3
  more than ANSI said I should)"

 "...And the lord said, 'lo, there shall only be case or default
  labels inside a switch statement'"

 "A typedef name was a complete surprise to me at this point in your
  program"

 "You can't modify a constant, float upstream, win an argument with
  the IRS, or satisfy this compiler"

 "This struct already has a perfectly good definition"

 "type in (cast) must be scalar; ANSI 3.3.4; page 39, lines 10-11
  (I know you don't care, I'm just trying to annoy you)"

 "Can't cast a void type to type void (because the ANSI spec. says
  so, that's why)"

 "Huh?"

 "Can't go mucking with a 'void *'"

 "We already did this function"

 "This label is the target of a goto from outside of the block
  containing this label AND this block has an automatic variable with
  an initializer AND your window wasn't wide enough to read this whole
  error message"

 "Call me paranoid but finding '/*' inside this comment makes me
  suspicious"

 "Too many errors on one line (make fewer)"

 "Symbol table full -- fatal heap error; please go buy a RAM upgrade
  from your local Apple dealer"